Friday, August 17, 2007

One Person, Two Homes.

One person, two homes. Can you see the predicament that has conjured up over the last two years? I consider myself to have two homes, the one where I lived for 17 years and where I grew up, the other a place of great atmosphere and good friends. I’m not saying that I don’t have that at my home with my parents but at school it just seems that I am my own person.
I enjoy being with friends. I like doing things with them and just hanging out. The problem is that I have several friends at home and several friends at school. Whenever one place draws or drags me away I am forced to leave behind a whole set of friends and I always seem hesitant to leave. When traveling back to school this year I looked back at the great summer I had. Honestly, I didn’t have to work that much and my friends and I capitalized on every opportunity. Things like Cake Day, and Star Wars Monopoly night, going out to breakfast, playing tennis until sunset, endless games of Frisbee Golf, or just staying out night just to wait and watch the sunrise are memories that I will forever carry with me and reflect upon. So when packing up to return to my home at Johnson I got sad and almost hated to leave.
I love dorm life. I enjoy being with the guys late at night sitting around the room either watching some awesome movie or talking about pointless theology yet we argue still. Life is very different at Johnson. Weekend retreats into the mountains with friends my friends there are amazing. At school I have two jobs, one is being R.A. and the other is working for General Maintenance. The two jobs are simple and not to hard so I don’t complain. Dollar fifty movies and half Apps are the big night on the town. So Johnson has much to add to life that my home can’t.
When I am at one place and leave to go to the other I find myself wishing I were back. Whether I am at home and leave to go to school I desire to be back home at first; or if I am at School and head home I wish to be back at school. The two homes are difficult to transition because I hate tearing myself from the place I was before. So now I am back at school missing all the wonderful times I had at home with all my friends however, I know when the time comes for me to return to my home at my parents house, I will dread leaving Johnson. I guess a house divided is hard to live in.

No comments: