Thursday, September 27, 2007

Long Distance Relationships...

I have come to despise long distance relationships. I myself once had a long distance relationship with my girlfriend at the time. I shall say first, difficulty does not bear the meaning of the term. Frustration seeps in and corrupts each other’s thoughts. Then if that didn’t seem like enough, after time you begin to feel separated emotionally. Without the physical presence of the other intimacy and love become stress instead of virtues. Temptation draws each other away to other enticing prospects; it just seems easier to give in and abandon then to continuously work out the Love. Our long distance relationship did not end well for us, and even though we seek reconciliation with one another, after a long separation the bond that once shared love will doubtfully be remade.

I envy the biblical writers and witnesses who could enjoy Christ’s teachings and live where he lived and walked where he walked. God’s manifestation in Christ seems that if I could only live when Jesus did I may share a closer bond with God for this reason, I can see the works of God manifested in a mere man and bask in his glory. Unfortunately, I may never have that honor and am forced to have a relationship that seems so distant. I can never place my hands on his robe or have him wipe the tears from my eyes. I can never see the passion that exploded from his words, which shook the foundations of fisherman.

The Gospel of John 1 reads;
In the beginning was the word, the word was with God and the word was God. He was with God in the beginning… the word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and only, who came from the father full of grace and truth.

The word became flesh and dwelled with men. Those beautiful words of poetry barely justify the meaning and act they represent. God came to us and lived where we live so that we may live with him for eternity. If only I lived then and witness the life and light that was the word. Now he returned to his home in heaven and I endure a relationship that spans dimensions. Such an idea seems ludicrous. Because he lived so long ago sometimes it seems he never came at all and I find myself praying to a being that I forget experienced what I experience. Every temptation and every suffering I go through Jesus endured and suffered through as well. I want to reach out and clasp his cloak and weep at his feet but how impossible it seems to practice a relationship with someone I have never met. This frustrates me especially while I suffer.

I loathe long distance relationships yet despite my frustrations and doubt I continue to work out this relationship and continue to strive for a connection that endures the sufferings of life. It seems so similar to a long distance relationship but where my ex and I failed God succeeded. The relationship rests on my shoulders, I pray for strength to endure this lifetime of separation and live by hope to one day dwell with the word who is God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that most any Christian who really loves the Lord will feel the longing to be in His presence.

Fortunately we all have the hope that someday we will be. I don't mean hope as far as "I hope it doesn't rain on our picnic", or "I hope i don't run out of gas before I get to the gas station." (something that might be)

Bur we have a hope which is actually an "assurance" (a promise that will be) that we will undoubtedly be in His presence.

That is something we can all look forward to with great anticipation.

Anonymous said...

I like the new look.

Unknown said...

Interesting blog...i have made this analogy myself and now i am in a long distance relationship. I think that the success of a long distance relationship is a great reflection of you ability to have a great relationshi with the Lord at a distance. It is hard though, to keep up both relationships at a distance, but completely possible.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you blog and have used the same analogy to explain to my friends why a long distance relationship can work. Now I find myself in one. Sometimes the longing to be together is hard, and the longing to be with our Lord is also hard, but it is completely possible. In fact, it is a joy to see the relationship develop when two people are in different continents and are passionately pursuing each other, the Lord, and their dreams.