Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Missing Something?

Today I had an awakening. While driving a friend home the matters of a previous relationship came up. She had just broken up with her boyfriend and even though it was for the best, she confessed a sustaining love for him. As she continued her story a previous experience arose with several of her friends and the summer intern. She went over a discussion that they all had and how they fell into each other’s confidence and revealed their struggles of their lives. Now because of my lack of understanding of women I’m not sure but I think she may have wanted to have a similar conversation as the other night, but with me. While she was telling this story some of the things the intern said made me wish that I could have the ability to council like he did. He called them out on issues unknown to me and because of his tact he was able to help the girls. I wish and pray that I may be as effective as him some day.

Yesterday my father had his men’s Bible Study over so I sat in on the study. The chapter out of their chosen study material covered divorce. What started as a common discussion broke into a counseling session for one of the men who happens to have troubles in his marriage. Taken back by the severity of the situation I did not know how to help him or what to do even. I know that I am only 20 and at this time lack the education that would help but even still, I wanted to help him and try to solve his problem.

If anyone in the world has read any of my past blogs they know that I am going into the ministry and will most likely council several people in my life. For these two examples I feel as if I failed them in some way. Either not being there as a friend or not knowing how to handle the situation I missed two wonderful opportunities to minister and shepherd. Failure in situations that arise such as these two force me to wonder if I am cut out for the ministry. Are my insecurities getting in the way of my pastoral future? I don’t know.

I can recall several failures in my past such as, school, relationships, or sinful desires. The fear of failure lingers on several minds. People try to run from their failure and get caught in an endless abyss of disappointment. And I guess the question on my mind is will I fail in my service to God as a minister for his bride? Is there something that I’m missing that could help me be a better man of God? Some days I desire preaching and others I’m terrified of it. Did I miss God’s call to something else? These questions remain in my head and can shake the foundation of my reality. It comes down to, do I really want to do this, and am I missing something?

So for two years now I have continuously been praying for God to prepare me for the path that I have chosen; to train my mind for servant hood and my heart for compassion. I made a promise to God that this is what I will do, and I WILL NOT break that oath. Lord, help with my insecurities and shortcomings and work on my heart and mind to transform it into an effective servant for your kingdom. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you given any thought to the fact that the very experiences you are saying you failed in ARE the training God is bringing you for future reference.

I remember a Catholic Priest in Chicago who wrote a book on 10 easy steps to raising children. I always thought it rather presumptuous of him to write such a book since he had never had the experiences for which he was writing.

You do not lack the desire, the love or the compassion to help. The only thing you may be missing, God will provide. That is education and experience. Believe me, the latter will be more helpful and important than the former.

If you ask the Holy Spirit to lead you in those situations, be careful, He will.