Friday, June 8, 2007

Goatee be gone! (change)

Today it’s gone, after nine months, four days and 15 hours I shaved off my goatee. I know I write as if I’ve had this relationship with my facial hair for twenty years or so, but in the last nine months it became a part of me and I became looked upon as a much older and wiser Jonny Heart. The transition was great while it lasted yet now I return to the clean-shaven look of my youth.

Change can be a great thing, lots of good has come from change; our country, the reformation and restoration movements within the church, and yes even the change from french fries to freedom fries was a good move. Many people have a hard time with change. For some odd reason people just don’t understand why change is important. It brings the chance of a fresh beginning and a new generation of opportunity.

You may be thinking, “Jonny Heart why are you talking about change?” The truth is, I don’t really know. People say I am conservative, and because of that I don’t take well to change. Well, some times I find it hard to cope with change and other times move along with it quit well. I admit that the later are further and farther between. Why do things need to change when they are working just fine the way they are? I don’t really like the idea of the “seeker sensitive church” that so many congregations have migrated towards. I don’t like that “King of Queens” ended and another comedy sitcom will take its place.

Change is inevitable, could be bad could be good, but no matter what a person does change constantly stares them down. Whether it’s the passing of father time or a sudden shift that will nock you off your feet, you will never be able stop it but what matters is the effect you let it leave.

I’m sure that at some point I will let my goatee return but what I like about it is that I can control when. I look forward to the change that will embrace me tomorrow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. . .your funny, I will miss your facial hair. It always did define who you were. Just Kidding, love yas, Kit-Kat