Saturday, June 16, 2007

What is in a name?

What is in a name? So many people are known solely by their name. What they do in life does not affect people’s opinion of them; they remain a public star with out judgment or consideration. The rich see their name more as a title or rank of status. Life used to be predestined for you just by the person’s last name. What people represented and lived for didn’t matter, so I ask the same question as the lovely Juliet, what is in a name?

All my life I could never walk down the halls of my church without someone coming up to me knowing exactly who I was but me not knowing them. You see, my parents have attended this church for 28 years now so they know a lot of people and I get titled, “oh you’re a _______ (my last name),” instead of my first, or they may say “You’re Dave’s boy.” It has gotten to the point that it bothers me but I miss it when it doesn’t happen. Growing up at a church for twenty years, you find that more people know you then you would like, especially if you have no idea who they are.

However today gave me a little prize. Yesterday was the Hoedown for the closing program of VBS at my church. A big party where the kids could bring their parents and enjoy an evening of games and food. The theme required the use of bails of straw, and lots of them. My father offered the use of his truck for transporting the straw back to the place we borrowed them from. Can you imagine 35 bails of straw in the back of an 8-foot bed? With the high pile of bundles I didn’t want to drive them home on the public streets only to drive right back the next morning. (we borrowed them from a garden center and it was a block away from the church.) So I left the truck at the church over night so I didn’t have to drive all over town with this Straw. The next morning my dad went to the church to get the truck. He asked if there were any more bundles and the woman just looked at him puzzled. In ignorance of knowing whom my father was, she replied; “well, that truck is Jonny Heart’s dad’s truck, and I don’t know if he wants you driving it.” With a big smile on his face and a hint of a chuckle he replied, “Oh, I don’t think he will mind since I’m his father.” Never in my life at that church has someone not known my parents but knew me. It was a fun little highlight of the day for me.

This incident brought to light a truth that has crept up on me. I am becoming an adult and more importantly an individual separate from my folks. My name at church is slowly becoming my own, what I make it. My actions now speak for myself instead of my last name. Yet never will I be able to truley become seprate from my parents at that church I have some where else. While going to school at Johnson Bible College I have a chance to become my own person. No one knows of my parents or what they have done in life, instead I am who I want to be. Its kind of a weird feeling, At this pivotal part in my life I decide what direction to go and for the first time mommy and daddy won’t be there to catch me if I fall. Am I scared? A little but responcibility comes with being an adult. Life is just beginning for me and I can make it what I want, my name is mine to make through the choices and actions I choose. So, what is in a name? Nothing, but what I do now is everything. Think about it.

No comments: