Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tennis anyone?

You know, there are few sports out there that I truly enjoy playing. They consist of Ultimate Frisbee, Football, Frisbee Gulf, and finally Tennis. Tennis is a pretty fun sport to play. I’m not that great but better then most of my friends so I think that lets me enjoy it more. In the last couple of weeks my friends and I have spent many evenings at the high school hitting a ball back and forth or playing a couple of sets, its something to look forward too during the day.

The other day while playing I kept hitting the ball into the net. Either serving or returning I continued to hit the ball into the net. Every time I failed to return the ball my temper grew and I was beginning to lose my nerve. I lost focus and got worse and worse till I was furious. My friends were profiting off my screw-ups and so their spirits were up.

I have found myself in the same situation in life. One bad thing that happened to me launched a continuous drive down a path of anger and disappointment. I tried to rise above and out of that state of mind yet the hole was to deep. It brought me down spiritually and I dragged through the days for weeks. After a while I knew that I couldn’t let it bother me anymore because I couldn’t focus on school or just be happy. I had to let it go. This wasn’t an instant transformation but I quickly returned to the good old Jonny Heart that I was before.

During the last game of that night it was my serve. I knew I had to calm down or the night would end badly and carry over when I got home. I took a deep breath and served. My best serve of the night started my best game of the night. My friend and I shut out the other team. I had to calm myself down in order to play my best. Life is much easier when you can calm yourself down and take one struggle at a time. The next day I was hanging out with my friends and asked, “tennis anyone?”

No comments: